Wednesday, July 27, 2022

That Picture You Had of Me Suddenly Began to Take Pictures


 76 Years Ago Today

Saturday 27th of July 1946
Writer Gertrude Stein dies of stomach cancer at the age of 72 in Neuilly-sur-Seine, Île-de-France, France.
Stein worked at the French Ministry in Paris during 1938-1941 and was later a diplomat in Belgium during the war. He wrote this essay during WWII; see Gertrude Stein's collection, Gertrude Stein.
The following is an excerpt from Stein's life autobiography. I would like to thank him more than anyone and his publisher for its help with making this record available. His friend J.V. Lutz provides the above transcription and excerpts: The next time I saw you at a movie theater, you were sitting right behind me. Well, I took a picture of you and then wrote some on the computer. This was my only film I made for a while. We started talking about our experiences when you were young. We all started talking a lot about cinema. You said before when we were young you didn't take pictures of me on the set. That was a mistake. I still like to think of you when I was younger and when I was young. That picture you had of me suddenly began to take pictures. What changed your mind was that when we began to talk a little bit about cinema I could recall you and my childhood years very well and talk about how you took pictures and that it helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment